Tech Lead – Backend, Holborn London we have a fantastic Hybrid working environment where you will be in the office 2 days a week.
We are looking for a Technical Lead to join our team. You will be responsible for the backend technologies and patterns required to build the heart of our digital products including premierinn.com.
Are you a senior developer looking to move into a wider guiding and influencing role? Do you love technology and want to help influence the ones we use? Do you want to foster relationships with our current and potential future providers (AWS, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, IBM etc). Do you love to learn and play with technology? If yes, then we’d love you to apply!
Unlike many other businesses, the effects of your work can be seen and experienced around the country both digitally, and in physical locations. Your work will have a direct impact on customers and colleagues and the environment. We encourage technical staff members to visit our locations and get to know the places and people who make Whitbread work for our customers.
The Tech Lead knows the world of the developer, and what drives them to have a good day. They are able to stand back and appreciate the wider engineering discipline as well and sit next a developer and code with the best of them.
The Tech Lead is responsible for the engineering standards, approach, and strategy for the back end technology employed across Whitbread’s Digital systems (currently EKS and other services on AWS). Working closely with the backend and other engineering teams and the Principal Technical Lead, the role is focused on driving best practice and community and drawing up (or supporting others to draw up) low level designs from business requirements and architectures.
Whitbread is undertaking a large Digital transformation project and you will a key person in this project. Going forwards, in the medium future, identifying and proving new innovations/opportunities for technology to help drive our business vision will be a key focus for the role.
The person we are looking for is someone who is interested in mapping their technical knowledge to our business domain. We have a passion for delivering for our hotel and restaurant customers and we are looking for someone with the same passion for technical excellence and a desire to learn and understand our wider business to help press for the best solutions available.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for the direction of engineering across the cloud native backend space, to support the overall Technology plan.
- Governance & decision making for designs, ways of working and solutions to engineering requirements (tech stack, CI-CD, security, patterns etc).
- Support the design process across our platforms, working with business and technology stakeholders to translate business problems into technical designs.
- Supporting the Principal Technical Lead in driving the Engineering Community of Practice.
- Peer review of technical designs and business requirements.
- Supporting the Maintenance of the Engineering Skills matrix, training plans and development.
What continues to set us apart are our excellent products and people. We have much loved brands such as Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, Bar + Block alongside exciting up and coming propositions such as Cookhouse & Pub. And in Premier Inn, we have the UK’s favourite budget hotel chain, currently outperforming the market and ambitious for more as we execute our plans in both the UK and Germany. At Whitbread, we remain true to our values and put our people at the centre of everything we do.
What you’ll be working with:
- Kubernetes on AWS with App Mesh
- Java 8+ (Currently 17)
- GraphQL (AWS AppSync)
- Postman Pro
- Sonarcube and Veracode
- Jenkins, Maven
- App Dynamics
- Expert CI/CD
- Github, Jira and Confluence
Why we'd love you to apply if you:
- Have proven experience of developing technology platforms, including technical architecture, estimation, planning, non-functional requirements, and Continuous Improvement activities using modern agile techniques.
- Thrive in an Agile environment where responding to change is a daily requirement.
- Have solid experience of designing and building secure highly scalable cloud native web applications.
- Have experience working with off-shore partners particularly focusing on fostering amazing working relationships.
- Have expert experience with Java and cloud native architectures.
- Are an expert and evangelist for technology and innovation within this specific domain.
- Have experience with CI/CD and the ability to evangelise about this.
- Have experience with tooling solutions eg Veracode, Sonarcube, Maven, Jenkins or similar.
- Have some experience of developing training and team development plans to drive performance across multi-skilled teams.
- Have a good understanding of business modelling techniques and approaches to capturing requirements.
In return, we will offer you:
- A market competitive base salary.
- Up to 30% annual bonus.
- Car or car allowance option.
- Sharesave scheme.
- A collaborative work culture that focuses on enabling your success and continuing your personal development.
- A hybrid working policy.
- Individual BUPA healthcare.
- Optional contributory pension matched up to 10%.
- Up to 25% discount off our brands.
- Perks at work discounts from a range of brands
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 785165-1629
Advertised: 12 Jan 2023