Role: Commercial Lead
Salary: £50,000 - £55,000
Location: Holborn (London) We have a fantastic hybrid working environment, you’ll need to be in the office at least 2 days per week but the rest of your week can be flexible to what works best for you and your role. There will be some independent travel required with this role.
Type of role: Permanent
The Commercial Lead is a key member of the Commercial Division, a market and customer expert. This role will set the commercial strategy and objectives for a portfolio of hotels in the UK, own the backlog of strategic and tactical activity to achieve these objectives, drive accountability for execution across multiple teams and stakeholders, with the ultimate purpose of maximising revenue delivery.
A leader and communicator, the Commercial Lead will be at the heart of the commercial model, fostering collaboration across functional teams, to successfully execute strategic trading initiatives and act as the agent of commercial performance across the wider business.
What you will be doing:
- Single accountability of revenue delivery for a portfolio of UK hotels - maximising volume, revenue and contribution.
- Formulation of a commercial strategy with specific objectives, across multiple markets within a portfolio.
- Execution of the commercial plan through the business cycle process and agile working methodology.
- Identify risks, mitigate issues and exploit opportunities, to maximise revenue delivery.
- Creation and ownership of a prioritised backlog, detailing strategic and tactical activity, identified through monitoring of trading performance, incorporation of digital or commercial development initiatives, reacting to market and competitor activity.
- Communication of trading performance across functional teams and the wider business at multiple levels, to foster collaboration, generate accountability, increase speed of decision making and execution.
What you’ll need:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build relationships, to lead, influence and create accountability with non-line management teams and colleagues, where multiple priorities need to be managed.
- The Commercial Lead should be market experts (not execution specialists), guiding each of the teams/resource pools in the matrix organisation, through strategic and tactical initiatives, fostering collaboration, with an end-to-end view of revenue delivery performance. This will necessitate an in-depth knowledge of their geographical portfolio, customer and competitor landscape.
- An understanding of the principles of dynamic pricing and perishable inventory management, digital acquisition, e-commerce and hotel operations, ideally with experience implementing these within a relevant industry.
- Evidence of proven commercial acumen and decision-making ability, with good financial awareness and numeracy.
- Sound presentation skills, with an ability to effectively communicate complex strategies and challenge thinking at all levels within the business.
Self-motivated, curious, with the ability to work collaboratively, organising time and prioritising workload.
In return, we will offer you:
- An annual Whitbread performance incentive worth up to 30% of base salary
- An optional contributory pension matched up to 10%
- BUPA healthcare
- Up to 60% discount on Premier Inn stays and a regular 25% discount in our Restaurant brands
- Access to Whitbread’s Save As You Earn scheme, with a fantastic 20% discount on Whitbread shares
- Recognition for service anniversaries, starting from 1 year
- Access to a range of discounts from everyday brands
- Charity donations through our Give and Match and Raise and Match schemes
- A collaborative work culture that focuses on enabling your success and continuing your personal development
- Hybrid working and a genuine flexible working policy
We’re 1,200 hotels and restaurants in the UK, Germany and the UAE, but we’re more than that. We’re the 35,000 people supporting our brands every day. The ones sourcing the nation’s favourite breakfast, plating up family favourites, and the great night’s sleep guaranteed people. We’re also always preparing for new openings, looking ahead and revamping our online presence. We do it for our guests, and it’s the details that keep them returning time and time again. We could be at the end of their road, their trusty choice for business trips, or we could be the place they associate with big celebrations up and down the country. We’re a constant in a changing world, and we’d love you to join us. Bring your energy, ideas and sense of fun, we’re waiting and so are our brands.
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 807293-1629
Advertised: 23 May 2023