Role: Lead Commercial (Trading) Analyst
Salary: £48,000 - £52,000
Location: London (Holborn) - we have a fantastic hybrid working environment, you’ll need to be in the office at least 2 days per week but the rest of your week can be flexible to what works best for you and your role.
Type of role: Permanent
The Lead Trading Analyst (TA) plays a critical role in the Trading team, delivering insights into the trading performance of the business through rigorous analysis and measurement.
Working autonomously with stakeholders across the Trading and wider Commercial & Marketing function, the TA provides rigorous analysis and insight, to validate our agreed trading strategies and tactics, support effective decision making and maximise revenue and occupancy.
Leveraging all available sources of trading data and MI, the TA will ensure trading tactics are executed effectively, whilst working with the Pricing & Events team, to maximise revenue and occupancy performance of key events and instances of exceptional demand.
What you will be doing:
- Implementation, measurement and optimisation of agreed Trading strategies and tactics across a broad area of the UK estate, to ensure rigorous delivery of performance at a site night level.
- Communicate key trading insights through performance reviews, in-line with the business cycle process and aligned to commercial plans defined by Commercial Leads.
- Utilise all available MI to identify risks, issues and opportunities to improve revenue delivery, then work with the Commercial Leads to formulate and implement appropriate changes to our trading tactics, to maximise performance.
- Work alongside the Pricing and Events Team, ensure revenue and occupancy maximisation of key events and instances of exceptional demand, as identified by Demand MI, Commercial Leads, Operations.
- Implementation and measurement of Trading strategies and tactics, maximising revenue and occupancy, ahead of market competitors.
- Evidence of effective insight and analysis, delivered in-line with the business cycle, which informs key commercial plans and decision making.
- Responsible for leveraging the existing Business Intelligence tools, to maximise revenue and occupancy delivery at a site night level and for key events.
- Work closely with stakeholders across the Trading and wider Commercial & Marketing teams to conduct end to end analysis from initial brief through to findings & recommendations and their implementations. This will include presenting analysis to wider business stakeholders.
- Develops custom metrics and MI to understand and evaluate trading tactics and challenges. Building complex datasets and performing data transformations through logical processes, advanced statistics or predictive analytics that enable complex business questions to be answered.
- Fully manages design and development of new business processes that have material impact on commercial and/or team performance. Managing development of communication flow from initial hypothesis through to communication of insights and implementation of strategies.
- Supports more junior team members through regularly delivering coaching across a range of skills and capabilities. Regularly enhancing the quality of insights produced by others.
What you’ll need:
- With proven analytical capability combined with strong interpersonal skills, the TA will deliver and communicate complex performance insights to multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent attention to detail and highly numerate.
- Experience using SQL for data manipulation and analysis in a commercial environment
- Strong data manipulation and visualisation skills, with good presentation capability. Experience in Tableau desired.
- Where required, they should be confident to explore and discuss challenges with their peers and the TAM, working collaboratively to find effective solutions to complex trading issues.
- A good communicator, with a proven ability to manage their own workload and time effectively, with flexibility to balance the priorities and changing needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders, balancing prioritisation of a backlog of cross functional requests and influencing stakeholders in the implementation of analysis driven recommendations
- Experience supporting coaching and development of analytical team members in a range of skills and capabilities
- Graduate Degree (or higher), ideally in a quantitative subject (e.g. Science, Maths, Engineering, Business or Economics) or 3+ years equivalent work experience in an advanced analytical role
- Experience in a relevant industry desirable (hospitality, airlines, retail etc).
We’re 1,200 hotels and restaurants in the UK, Germany and the UAE, but we’re more than that. We’re the 35,000 people supporting our brands every day. The ones sourcing the nation’s favourite breakfast, plating up family favourites, and the great night’s sleep guaranteed people. We’re also always preparing for new openings, looking ahead and revamping our online presence. We do it for our guests, and it’s the details that keep them returning time and time again. We could be at the end of their road, their trusty choice for business trips, or we could be the place they associate with big celebrations up and down the country. We’re a constant in a changing world, and we’d love you to join us. Bring your energy, ideas and sense of fun, we’re waiting and so are our brands. #
In return, we will offer you:
- An annual Whitbread performance incentive worth up to 30% of base salary
- An optional contributory pension matched up to 10%
- BUPA healthcare
- Up to 60% discount on Premier Inn stays and a regular 25% discount in our Restaurant brands
- Access to Whitbread’s Save As You Earn scheme, with a fantastic 20% discount on Whitbread shares
- Recognition for service anniversaries, starting from 1 year
- Access to a range of discounts from everyday brands
- Charity donations through our Give and Match and Raise and Match schemes
- A collaborative work culture that focuses on enabling your success and continuing your personal development
- Hybrid working and a genuine flexible working policy
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 802655-1629
Advertised: 17 May 2023