Data Engineer | Dunstable (Hybrid Working) | Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a Data Engineer to work as part of our rapidly growing data engineering team, who build products and services for Premier Inn.
Whitbread is the UK's leading hospitality company in the FTSE 100 including brands such as Premier Inn and Beefeater. By the end of 2020, our goal is to increase the number of Premier Inn UK rooms to an incredible 85,000. All while creating around 3,000 UK jobs a year and continuing to expand our presence worldwide. There has never been a more exciting time to Whitbread!
About the role:
You will support the creation and productionisation of data products in conjunction with decision science team. It includes creation and maintenance of data and CI/CD deployment pipelines, MLOps, setup of Azure data products as required for different data science prototyping scenarios, deployments to Pre-Prod and Prod and eventually accountability for supporting productionised data products.
What you’ll be doing:
- Deliver across the entire software delivery life cycle in an agile fashion – concept, design, build, deploy, test, release through to post implementation support for new data pipelines and data science products.
- Profile data, build data pipelines and orchestrate data flows.
- Design, creation and testing of CI/CD pipelines for each product to be productionised.
- Ensure all deliverables are well documented, re-usable, tested and conform to agreed architecture design patterns and coding standards.
- Undertake analytical activities required to support the development and maintenance of systems.
- Provide support on key products should there be an incident / problem related to a productionised product that requires a development fix.
- Support the project/backlog delivery events; planning / user story estimation, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews/ demos & retrospectives.
Support / collaborate with the data science and platform teams by taking ownership of driving forward relevant stories (updating the ticket on the Kanban board & Jira).
- Passionate about building, maintaining and optimising scalable ML/data science-based data products.
What you’ll need:
- 4 years + experience in a data engineering role with responsibility for data and CI/CD pipelines.
- Strong hands-on experience with of Python and/or Java to build data pipelines and orchestrate data flows.
- Proven experience using R, Python or SQL.
- Azure Data Services (Data Factory, Databricks, Synapse Analytics)
- Good understanding of data profiling and data types such as JSON and XML
- Hands-on experience with data storage systems such as Azure Blob Storage and Azure Data Lake.
- Good knowledge of version control system such as Git for code check in and PR’s
- Solid experience of T-SQL (stored procedures, functions)
- Integration and ETL experience
- Experience deploying code as part of CI/CD pipelines in Azure DevOps stack
- Experience of provisioning the Azure PAAS/IAAS environments through CI/CD pipelines
- Understanding of general infrastructure, networking & security best practices
- Experience of using AzureML and Databricks.
In Return, We Will Offer You
A market competitive base salary
Up to 30% annual bonus
A collaborative work culture that focuses on enabling your success and continuing your personal development
A genuine flexible working policy
Individual BUPA healthcare
Optional contributory pension matched up to 10%
Free parking across our Head Office campus
Up to 25% discount off our brands
Perks at work
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 783318-1629
Advertised: 09 Sep 2022