Role: Accounting Analyst
Function: Financial Accounting & Controls
Location: Dunstable- we have a fantastic hybrid working environment, you’ll need to be in the office at least 2 days per week but the rest of your week can be flexible to what works best for you and your role.
Type of role: Permanent
The Financial Accounting and Control (A&C) team is a critical element of the overall Financial Control team, providing accurate accounts, processing journal transactions, reconciling balance sheet accounts, delivering financial reporting and acting as a business partner to key areas of the organisation.
The Accounting Analyst is responsible for processing journal transactions, preparing balance sheet reconciliations to ensure reliable, timely and accurate information is provided to key stakeholders. The role will have responsibility for month end and P&L/ BS control across UK and Ireland.
What you will be doing:
- Ensuring P&L lines owned are well understood, managed with timely insight provided at month-end and key reporting periods i.e. Year End and Half Year.
- Proactive analysis of any issues at month-end.
- Posting journals and executing the month end process accurately.
- Work with operational finance colleagues to understand actual performance at month end
- Own the commentary of relevant accounts on the Balance Sheet as part of monthly review with Director of Accounting & Control.
- Timely reconciliation of all balance sheets accounts with thorough understanding of the balances and any risks and opportunities. Addressing all review points in a timely manner.
- Liaison with third party service providers and ensuring data integrity.
- Process review and improvement
- Building and maintaining strong working relationship with the Ops finance, Retail Audit and Commercial finance teams.
- Supporting the above teams and others with ad-hoc queries.
- Proper management of the sites queries mailbox ensuring all the queries are answered as per the agreed SLA.
Why we’d love you to apply:
- Drive to study for a professional qualification
- Strong excel
- Attention to detail, structured/organised approach
- Excellent communication skills in speaking to finance and non-finance people.
- Problem solving and analytical skills to root cause issues.
We’re 1,200 hotels and restaurants in the UK, Germany and the UAE, but we’re more than that. We’re the 35,000 people supporting our brands every day. The ones sourcing the nation’s favourite breakfast, plating up family favourites, and the great night’s sleep guaranteed people. We’re also always preparing for new openings, looking ahead and revamping our online presence. We do it for our guests, and it’s the details that keep them returning time and time again. We could be at the end of their road, their trusty choice for business trips, or we could be the place they associate with big celebrations up and down the country. We’re a constant in a changing world, and we’d love you to join us. Bring your energy, ideas and sense of fun, we’re waiting and so are our brands. #
In return, we will offer you:
- An annual Whitbread performance incentive worth up to 10% of base salary
- An optional contributory pension matched up to 10%
- BUPA healthcare
- Up to 60% discount on Premier Inn stays and a regular 25% discount in our Restaurant brands
- Access to Whitbread’s Save As You Earn scheme, with a fantastic 20% discount on Whitbread shares
- Recognition for service anniversaries, starting from 1 year
- Access to a range of discounts from everyday brands
- Charity donations through our Give and Match and Raise and Match schemes
- A collaborative work culture that focuses on enabling your success and continuing your personal development
- Hybrid working and a genuine flexible working policy
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 780805-2028
Advertised: 05 Aug 2022
Application closed: 07 Oct 2022