Software Engineer - Android | Permanent B16 | Holborn
We have an exciting opportunity for an Android Developer within our digital hub in London. Can you take code quality to new heights? Harness the full potential of our current technologies, while finding new and better ways of developing our products? If so, then we would love to hear from you!
Whitbread is the UK's leading hospitality company in the FTSE 100 including brands such as Premier Inn and Beefeater. By the end of 2020, our goal is to increase the number of Premier Inn UK rooms to an incredible 85,000. All while creating around 3,000 UK jobs a year and continuing to expand our presence worldwide. There has never been a more exciting time to Whitbread!
We are proud of our tech stack, so depending upon your role, we give our engineers the opportunity to work with Java, Spring, AEM, Kubernetes, AWS, Android (Kotlin), iOS (Swift), ReactJS, Angular JS, Cypress, Docker, Jenkins.
What you will be doing to contribute
- Work within an agile team to deliver across the entire product life cycle – concept, design, build (code), deploy, test, release, and maintain/support great products in a Dev-ops environment.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner and team to deliver robust, secure, scalable, tested, and documented capabilities.
- Fully participate in the relevant scrum events; planning and estimation, daily scrums, sprint reviews, and retrospectives.
- Drive test driven development, team standards and best practices e.g. code quality, improving the code base, agile ways of working, technical debt control.
- Delivering value to our business and our customers by using technology to solve business problems with creativity & innovation.
- You are a passionate developer who loves clean coding but also getting their hands dirty.
- You are passionate about continuously growing your skills and making a difference.
- You will bring ideas, challenge and offer solutions to the team.
- Practice TDD and follow best practices.
- Produce high-quality, clean and performant code.
- Product mindset and passion about building for internal stakeholders and external customer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team members.
Required skills and experience
- Native Android development: Android SDK, Kotlin, Java, familiar with MVP/ MVVM architecture, RX Java, Dagger
- Agile development: design patterns, OOD, emergent architecture, tools like JIRA/ Confluence, TDD
- Continuous integration and deployment: Bitrise, Jenkins, Git
- Web services, Micro Services, Restful APIs, JSON, SOAP, XML/RPC
- Willingness to collaborate to develop solutions with others in a continuous and iterative delivery cycle
- Ability to cope in ambiguity and forge your own path in lockstep with your team
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
In return, we will offer you:
An annual Whitbread performance incentive worth up to 10% of base salary
An optional contributory pension matched up to 10%
Individual / Family BUPA healthcare
Up to 60% discount on Premier Inn stays and a regular 25% discount in our Restaurant brands
- Access to Whitbread’s Save As You Earn scheme, with a fantastic 20% discount on Whitbread shares
- Recognition for service anniversaries, starting from 1 year
- Access to a range of discounts from everyday brands
- Charity donations through our Give and Match and Raise and Match schemes
- A collaborative work culture that focuses on enabling your success and continuing your personal development
- Hybrid working and a genuine flexible working policy
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 768914-2028
Advertised: 17 Jun 2022