Senior Software Engineer - Android
Senior Software Engineer - Android | Permanent | Holborn
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer for our Android team within our digital hub in London. Can you take code quality to new heights? Harness the full potential of our current technologies, while finding new and better ways of developing our products? If so, then we would love to hear from you!
Whitbread is the UK's leading hospitality company in the FTSE 100 including brands such as Premier Inn and Beefeater. By the end of 2020, our goal is to increase the number of Premier Inn UK rooms to an incredible 85,000. All while creating around 3,000 UK jobs a year and continuing to expand our presence worldwide. There has never been a more exciting time to Whitbread!
We are proud of our tech stack, which depending upon your role, gives our engineers the opportunity to work with Java, Spring, AEM, Kubernetes, AWS, Android (Kotlin), iOS (Swift), ReactJS, Angular JS, Cypress, Docker, Jenkins.
What you will be doing to contribute
- Work within an agile team to deliver across the entire product life cycle – concept, design, build (code), deploy, test, release, and maintain/support great products in a Dev-ops environment.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner and team to deliver robust, secure, scalable, tested, and documented capabilities.
- Fully participate in the relevant scrum events; planning and estimation, daily scrums, sprint reviews, and retrospectives.
- Drive test driven development, team standards and best practices e.g. code quality, improving the code base, agile ways of working, technical debt control.
- Mentoring, learning and sharing engineering skills.
- Delivering value to our business and our customers by using technology to solve business problems with creativity & innovation.
- You are a passionate developer who loves clean coding but also getting their hands dirty.
- You are passionate about continuously growing your skills and making a difference.
- Setting great standards and help reducing technical debt.
- Owning technical design on projects and understanding the trade-offs in creating great software.
- Practice TDD and follow best practices.
- Produce high-quality, clean and performant code.
- Product mindset and passion about building for internal stakeholders and external customer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team members.
Required skills and experience
- Native Android development: Android SDK, Kotlin, Java, familiar with MVP/ MVVM architecture, RX Java, Dagger
- Agile development: design patterns, OOD, emergent architecture, tools like JIRA/ Confluence, TDD
- Continuous integration and deployment: Bitrise, Jenkins, Git
- Web services, Micro Services, Restful APIs, JSON, SOAP, XML/RPC
- Experience of coaching and mentoring other engineers from a technical perspective.
- Willingness to collaborate to develop solutions with others in a continuous and iterative delivery cycle
- Ability to cope in ambiguity and forge your own path in lockstep with your team
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills: able to inspire and influence team members
Whitbread is an inclusive employer, strongly believing that everyone is unique and there should be no limits to ambition. We welcome your application whatever your background or situation. We are open to flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.