Technical Lead – Microservices | London | Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a brand new role in our structures, where we are looking for a Technical Lead to join our team where you will be responsible for the technologies and patterns of the backend Microservices and API’s that underpin multi-billion pound websites? Do you love technology and want to help influence the ones we use? If yes, then we’d love for you to apply!
About the role:
- The Technical Lead is responsible for the backend engineering standards, approach, and strategy for the backend technology employed across Whitbread’s systems.
- Working closely with the engineering teams and the Principal Technical Lead, the role is focused on driving innovation and best practice across our internal platforms, and, working closely with the Head of Architecture, identifying and proving new opportunities for technology to help drive our business vision.
We are the UK's leading hospitality company, a FTSE 100 organisation with almost 30,000. Owning successful brands such as Premier Inn and hub by Premier Inn, we have over 850 hotels - which is over 80,000 bedrooms - across the UK, Germany and the Middle East (with a committed pipeline of over 20,000 more). We’re also proud to own over 420 restaurants across the UK including Beefeater and our newer brands Bar + Block and Cookhouse & Pub. With exciting plans to innovate and grow our core UK and international business, we always keep our customers at the heart of what we do. There has never been a more exciting time to join Whitbread!
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for the direction of the Technical Architecture for engineering across a key technology area, to support the overall Technology plan
- Governance & Decision Making
- Support the design process across our platforms, working with business and technology stakeholders to translate business problems into technical designs.
- Supporting the Principal Technical Lead in driving the Engineering Community of Practice
- Peer review of technical designs and business requirements
- Supporting the Maintenance of the Engineering Skills matrix, training plans and development
What you’ll need:
- Proven experience of developing technology platforms, including technical architecture, estimation, planning, non-functional requirements, and Continuous Improvement activities using modern agile techniques
- Demonstrable experience of Microservices architecture, designing and building REST API’s.
- Expert experience with Java, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud
- Experience of Cloud Platforms (e.g Amazon Web Services)
- Experience with Jenkins, Docker and ideally Kubernetes (although not essential)
- TDD with Unit Testing (such as Junit or Mockito) and Integration Testing.
- Experience of developing training and team development plans to drive performance across multi-skilled teams
- Understanding of business modelling techniques and approaches to capturing requirements
- Expert and evangelist for technology and innovation within their specific domain
- Robust understanding of development patterns, best practice and compliance
- Understanding of SAFe or similar enterprise agile processes
We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We are committed to being an inclusive organisation that values diversity and welcome your application whatever your background or situation.
Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and non-binary or those who use a different LGBTQ+ term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 785165-2028
Advertised: 21 Sep 2022