Senior Software Engineer | Central London | Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer to work as part of our Premier Inn digital team. Do you like solving real-world problems at scale? Do you have experience of building REST API’s using a Microservices architecture? Would you like to help technically lead a new feature driven commercial pipeline? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
What continues to set us apart are our excellent products and people. In Premier Inn, we have the UK’s favourite budget hotel chain, currently outperforming the market and ambitious for more as we execute our plans in both the UK and Germany. We have much loved brands such as Beefeater, Brewers Fayre, Bar + Block alongside exciting up and coming propositions such as Cookhouse & Pub.
We remain true to our values and put our people at the centre of everything we do. Throughout this crisis we a proud to have supported our nations Key Workers by providing accommodation throughout the pandemic.
What you will be doing to contribute:
- Work within an agile team to deliver across the entire product life cycle – concept, design, build (code), deploy, test, release, and maintain/support great products in a Dev-ops environment.
- Partner with our architecture group to define and then develop robust and scalable. architectures that comply with Whitbread and industry best-practices and standards.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner and team to deliver robust, secure, scalable, tested, and documented capabilities.
- Fully participate in the relevant scrum events; planning and estimation, daily scrums, sprint reviews, and retrospectives.
- Delivering API-enabled components and microservices using containerisation and cloud solutions to the highest engineering standards.
- Drive software architectural and design principles, test driven development, team standards and best practices e.g. code quality, improving the code base, agile ways of working, technical debt control.
- Mentoring colleagues, learning and sharing engineering skills.
- Providing technical leadership.
- Delivering value to our business and our customers by using technology to solve business problems with creativity & innovation.
- You are a passionate developer who loves clean coding but also getting their hands dirty.
- You are passionate about continuously growing your skills and making a difference.
- You will bring ideas, challenge and offer solutions to the team.
- Practice TDD and follow best practices.
- Produce high-quality, clean and performant code.
- Product mindset and passion about building for internal stakeholders and external customer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent experience and knowledge of Java 8+.
- Solid understanding of microservices architecture, as well as designing and implementing REST API’s.
- Experience with modern enterprise frameworks, E.g. Spring or Spring Boot.
- Experience with version control e.g. Git.
- Experience of working within a CI/CD environment
- Automated Build Systems e.g. Jenkins.
- TDD with Unit Testing (such as Junit or Mockito) and Integration Testing.
- Monitoring application performance and maintaining the application in production.
- Comfortable working in agile methodologies (ideally Scrum)
Whitbread is an inclusive employer. We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We welcome your application whatever your background or situation. Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, trans sexual, non binary or use another term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.
Job ref: 766036-1629
Advertised: 25 May 2022